Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Your Input: Springfield College Station vs. Ozark Downtown Redevelopment

Before the start of Monday's city council meeting an article regarding the development of Springfield's Collage Station was brought to my attention.

During an update from Darrel Groves, one of the city's consultants on the downtown redevelopment, Dennis Sparrow asked Darrell if there was anything we could learn from Springfield's experience. Darrell said that they were getting copies of the College Station agreement to look over and compare it to our project here in Ozark.

I just read the article, and I have to say, there are striking similarities between the two projects and it concerns me. It seems the plans of action for both projects say: movie theater + a downtown feel = economic revitalization. Unfortunately, this equation is not working out for the city of Springfield.

I am anxious to see what results will be produced from negotiations currently taking place between the city, city consultants and PlazaCorp. I hope all parties can come to an agreement that protects our tax dollars from undue risk. These results will be presented and voted on by the council next Monday at 5:30.

My question to you: Are there similarities between the two projects that cause you concern? Do you see characteristics of our project in Ozark that you feel would make it more successful than the Collage Station project?

2 comments:

  1. The first thing that struck me when I heard about the plan for the theater in Ozark was the mention of being able to rent out the theaters for business presentations or other events. I don't know whether that is possible at College Station or anywhere else in the area, but I think it's a great idea that, if presented well, could be a real strength.

    Geographically, I think a theater in downtown Ozark makes more sense than downtown Springfield as well. That said, if run well, I think Springfield's College Station should be able to thrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matthew! Those are both good points. The folks who own the movie theater chain Ozark is looking at seem to have a great reputation in markets like Ozark.

    ReplyDelete